By Bruce C. Donaldson
The sequence builds an intensive selection of prime quality descriptions of languages around the globe. each one quantity bargains a complete grammatical description of a unmarried language including totally analyzed pattern texts and, if applicable, a thesaurus and different suitable details that's on hand at the language in query. There aren't any regulations as to language family members or sector, and even supposing unique awareness is paid to hitherto undescribed languages, new and useful remedies of higher recognized languages also are integrated. No theoretical version is imposed at the authors; the single criterion is a excessive typical of clinical caliber.
Read Online or Download A Grammar of Afrikaans PDF
Similar foreign language dictionaries & thesauruses books
I admire the format of the dictionary (the sections of valuable material), and the pronunciation guides.
I imagine it truly is missing within the variety of phrases that it interprets from the Polish to the English, particularly. really want it had extra phrases than it does, so needs to supply it not more than three stars.
Make new associates with assistance from the revised tough consultant Egyptian Arabic Phrasebook. even if you need to e-book a lodge room, rent a motor vehicle or money the neighborhood bus instances, this pocket-sized phrasebook can have you conversing the language very quickly. specified by a transparent A-Z variety, the 3rd variation contains 16-pages of extra situation fabric.
Whether you don't like crossword puzzles, you'll prove loving those. Designed for mother-tongue or thoroughly fluent audio system of Korean eager to enhance their English abilities, the puzzles can also be interesting to English audio system. they're formatted in order that each one puzzle should be solved in 15 to half-hour.
- Learner's Dictionary of Classical Arabic Idioms: Arabic-English
- The Royal Inscriptions of Tiglath-pileser III, King of Assyria (744-727 BC) and Shalmaneser V (726-722 BC), Kings of Assyria
- A Grammar of Qiang: With Annotated Texts and Glossary (Mouton Grammar Library)
- King Henry V (Webster's French Thesaurus Edition)
Additional resources for A Grammar of Afrikaans
6. The diphthong ui [oei] Examples: huis [fioeis] 'house', lui floei] 'lazy*, uuil [foil] 'dirty'. 10 Pronunciation Afrikaans linguists usually transcribe this sound as [cey], as is Dutch ui, but there is a subtle difference between the two languages in the way this sound is pronounced. There is a definite tendency in Afrikaans to unround the second element of the diphthong, pronouncing it [oei]. e. 8). 4), leading to words like huis 'house' and hys 'to lift' sounding identical. 7. The diphthong ai [ai] Examples: aia [a^a] 'non-white nurse-maid', baie [bate] 'much/very', fraiing [fraiarj] 'fringe', kaia [kaPa] 'native dwelling*.
E. g. amnestie (also amnestie), anargie, burokrasie, demokrasie, ekonomie, energie, ensiklopedie, geologic, kompromie, masßnerie, simpatie, Strategie. 1). Note: histerektomie fits into neither group and is stressed as in English. 4. g. adventis(te), alkoholis(te), individualistic), joernalis(te), motoris(te), rassis(te). g. indiuidualisme, joemalisme, rassisme. g. kommunisties, rassisties. 5. Agent nouns ending in -ikus There are many nouns denoting agents derived from the Latin ending -ikus in the singular, but -ici (pronounced [isi]) in the plural.
The consonant g [g] Examples: bagger [bogar] 'bugger', gala, [ga:la],grend [grae:nt] 'grand'. There are many unassimilated, or only partially assimilated, English loanwords in common use in spoken Afrikaans which preserve the English pronunciation of g as [g]. Paraguay, Uruguay and Uganda and their derivatives are all pronounced with fg]. 7. The consonant gh [g] Examples: ghitaar [gi'ta:r] 'guitar' (also spelt and pronounced kitaar), ghoeroe [guru] 'guru', gholf\ golf] 'golf, ghries fgrisj 'grease'.
A Grammar of Afrikaans by Bruce C. Donaldson